Thursday, February 17, 2011

Moving on (to brunei)

I shall announce that the I have resigned from my job and move on to another company. Well I'm still doing the same job but with lower benefits.

As of now, I am in Brunei as a senior software engineer helping out with the requirements gathering. It is a rather refreshing experience compared to pure engineering job in previous company. I have been meeting up with several clients for the past 2 days and the skills required is quite different and hence I have to adjust myself to a totally different mindset. Like writing good and understandable minutes so that you don't have to rewrite and save the time for other task example sleeping.

Engineering is pure technical skills while requirements gathering is more of a soft skill. What I have learn is that once you are good at technical skills, you should be ready for gaining the domain knowledge for a specific sector. This is where you would value add. Knowing the processes of your client will help in knowing your client requirements beforehand and the obstacles ahead.

Knowing to do your task is one thing but the approach is also important. Requirement gathering is a human task and taking a soft stance towards your customer can help in building a cordial human relationship. As much as you want to get the things done, you also want your customer to be happy. Right?

I also learn about having a process towards gathering requirement is also beneficial. Talk with your customer about their requirements and then generate out a set of questionnaire for them to fill up before meeting up with them helps in reducing the time for requirement gathering.

Longer working hours seems like a norm like right now, just back from work and dinner, I am already at the living room with colleague ready to push on to finish the next task.

Time is short. Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment