Saturday, February 19, 2011

90% of the battle

Just to note down a conversation I had with a solution architect in the company. There is one particular portion that strikes me as I always thought that implementation phase might be the longest phase among the SDLC or  software development life cycle. I was surprised that it can be much shorter than what I think.

If the assumption is truly spot on, actually 10% of the time is doing implementation!

How can it be done? Probably the O2C SDLC will fit in perfectly. As programmers from China/India cost only 1/3 of Singapore, we can use 3 times the number of engineers to speed up the process. There are important consideration using this approach and one of them probably is whether the task can be split and run in parallel.

Having a infrastructure that is catered for the similar task also help the project to be on time tremendously. I will make some assumption that my current project should be at least 3-5 years and because of the infra, process has accelerated by 50% and more.

This is probably why the engineers won't get paid well unless the specialization is very niche. And that is what I'm aiming for: to have a balanced soft and hard skill set with my specialization on niche areas. Sounds like I'm asking for the best of both worlds :D

No comments:

Post a Comment